Monday 6 August 2012

God in the shower


A camping holiday has its highs and lows but the state of the showers causes the most frequent grumblings.  Too hot, too cold, barely a dribble of water, muddy footprints and long queues – we rarely seem satisfied.

At New Wine there are thousands of people sharing adequate facilities, we should be grateful for what we’ve got.

Now I love a luxurious power shower as much as the next girl but this is camping and I change my style to “get in, get washed, get out”, a phrase often heard uttered in our house by youngest son as he attempts the world record for the fastest wash on record! 

One particular morning I knew my hair would last another day before a wash so even a trickle would be sufficient to make me feel clean enough to face the day.

There was one shower free and one lady waiting.

“That one’s not great,” she said, “just a dribble, I’m waiting for another one.”

“It doesn’t bother me,” I replied with bravado as I stripped off, prepared for the worst. Would I live to regret my words?

Now this was the morning after I had discovered the man of my dreams from last year was out of reach and married (read Saturday post The Fluff of Fantasy if you haven’t already).

The morning after God had whispered so quietly, “I have a better plan for you!”

I turned on the shower to the inevitable dribble but all of a sudden the jet of water filled out and I was standing under a perfectly cascading shower. OK so it wasn’t the best shower in the world ever but in that moment I knew that God was reminding me how much he has to give me. I’d freely accepted less than the best and He’d given me so much more.

It reminds me on some of my favourite verses from Ephesians chapter 3 verses 20-21

God can do anything you know – far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.

A great thought to hold onto today as we wait for His blessings to pour down!

No comments:

Post a Comment