Monday 9 January 2012

Dear Little Deer Bottoms!


Over a week into January and we are now well and truly back to the usual routine – yippee!

I was delighted to wake up once more to Chris Evans on Radio 2 after his extended Christmas break. 

While tidying up after breakfast he played The Communards “Don’t Leave me This Way” which made me turn the volume up and dance around the kitchen.

Still smiling I laced up my walking boots ready for the first Monday morning walk of the year with my friends.

Why can’t every morning start so positively?

The walk was wonderful, invigorating; all that fresh air and fabulous views.  We are so fortunate to live in such a beautiful part of the country.

It was also great to catch up with friends, some I’d not seen since before Christmas.  We chatted non-stop.

“There’s a deer up ahead.  No two deers, they’ve just walked across the path!”

We looked where our friend indicated but continued with the chatter.  There was no reverent hush as we tried to spot them.

I scanned the trees hoping for a glimpse.

I regretted spending so much of the walk looking at the ground watching where to put my feet.  I’d enjoyed catching up so much I knew I’d not appreciated the marvellous scenery as much as I should.  There are so many things we take for granted.

“There!”

My friend pointed once more into the trees.  My eyesight must be failing fast I still couldn’t see them or even a hint of movement.

Just trees, trees and more trees; still and silent.  There were seven of us and two dogs so I reasoned the deer must have scarpered by now.

But then I saw definitely two or maybe three white balls of fluff bounding away through the woodland.

Dear little deer bottoms.  The tail end of a beautiful sight.

I need to keep my eyes open.  There is so much to see if you stay alert.  So much beauty and wonder.

Look around and see what you can spot today.

No comments:

Post a Comment