Thursday 29 December 2011

Home is where the Heart is


“So you’ve come home for Christmas,” said my aunt as a matter of fact.

The fact that I have not lived with my parents or even lived in that area of the country for half my life completely immaterial.

But she is of course completely right.  This was the only place I wanted to be for Christmas, surrounded by my loving family - therefore it must be home!

However yesterday while driving back again, after a whole week away, I got excited by the sight of another familiar landscape.  I smiled, thinking “It’s so good to be back home!”

It is true what they say home really is where the heart is.

Some words of the Christmas carols stood out this year in a way they never have before.  They speak not only of Jesus’s birth but also of his heavenly home where he is leading us.  His home on earth was only temporary.

I thought a lot of Andrew as I sang those words and pictured him in his heavenly home with Jesus and all those who have gone before.  It’s comforting to imagine Andrew being safe, at home, waiting for me to join him – one day - hopefully way into the future from my perspective!  

My heart and my home forever joined.

On Christmas Day I posted the words of the first verse of Away in a Manger.  These are the words of the final verse…

Be near me Lord Jesus; I ask thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care
And fit us for heaven to live with thee there.

Those words make a good prayer anytime of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment