Thursday 24 November 2011

Choose Thanks!


Can’t think of much to write today.  There are no funny anecdotes as I have been home all day feeling a bit sorry for myself as I have a cold and can’t stray far from a box of tissues.

I was supposed to be going out with friends to the Knit and Stitch Show but as I had loads to do, as I was feeling off colour and didn’t want to share my germs I decided to give it a miss.  Also I reasoned I would only buy more craft paraphernalia that I haven’t got time to use.   There are too many half-finished knitting and sewing projects in the house already.  There is a cupboard I daren’t open for fear of the avalanche of wool that will topple out.  I have an abundance of card, beads, sequins, buttons and fabric too yet still I crave more.

Why do we complain when we have so much?  We have too much really and it’s easy to take things for granted. 
 
Today is Thanksgiving in the U.S.A. so maybe I should just write a list of all there is to be thankful for today, my unplanned and unspectacular day at home



  • Driving back from dropping the boys off at school there was a fantastic silver lining edging the cloud straight ahead of me

  • The decorator came round and finished painting the last doorstep

  • Then builder turned up and re-pointed the crack in the back wall

  • Got the lawnmower/tractor started and together with older son we swept the leaves – YET AGAIN

  • I had a sneaky hour off from doing nothing much in particular and managed to catch up watching the Military Wives Choir – superb

  • I got to the bottom of the ironing pile before breakfast – trying to put waking up early to good use

  • Had an email reminding me about the “getting your work published day”  I am attending on Saturday, networking lunch provided - can’t wait to get out there and mingle

  • Printed slips with blog and contact details to hand out to important people on Saturday

  • Literally just put the phone down after a fabulously giggly phone conversation with my best friend

  • A friend of my mother-in-law’s in his eighties died in the early hours of this morning, he’d been ill for some time and now I am thankful he doesn’t have to suffer

Being thankful isn’t always simple.  It’s a choice we have to make.  There is a negative side to most things on the list above and I have plenty to be sad about.  I am wrapped in Andrew’s jumper today and I had a little weep today because he is no longer by my side.

Some days are very tough but choosing to count your blessings can help make some steps just that bit easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment